Misfortune Cookie -A short story



            I've always been a fan of China-themed restaurants, the oriental cuisine and well, kung fu (which absolutely has NOTHING to do with my Jackie Chan obsession) . So to treat myself, I go down to a Chinese-deli every chance I get. On 4th October 2011, I headed down to this new place, hidden at the back of an alley. It was desolate and the smell of the trashcan nearby reached me. I wanted to leave, but my mind was set on tasting it here. Everything seemed shady, not the usual Chinese-deli setting. As I walked in, people started eyeing me from top to bottom, murmuring something about me. I sat down and asked for my most favorite part of the experience -the fortune cookie. When I called out for it, a man came in, picked out 2 very specific cookies. That was weird. I cracked the first one open, and read the paper inside “Leave this country now. You are in danger. Run while you still can. Your bags are packed and are ready to leave at a moment’s notice.” The second one read something like “The crime lords are onto you, boss. The safest hideout now is the CIA Service ship which is about 850 miles off coast.”
  I have always dreamed of becoming a secret agent, not like this though. If I had revealed my true identity, the gangsters at the deli would probably blow my brains across the road. The feeling I had was a mix of suspense and adrenaline. If I ran out, it would seem suspicious. So I ordered a bowl of chop suey to throw off the suspicion. After licking my bowl clean, I hurried out to find a black sedan waiting out, scrubbed to the core. Meaning it was neat and the whole thing was legit. I got in to find waterproof, duffel-bags that had loads of files containing photographs of bearded men in nice suits talking business. There was flash-drive in there which had voices of people, probably discussing the, "illegal stuff". I tossed it in the bag as well.
                  I drove out, not quite sure what I was doing. I probably risked the life of an agent, endangering mine at the same time. I needed to notify the CIA at once. However that could be done. But the ''adventure side" of brain shut up the ''logical side''. That seemed to suit me fine. I checked the system’s contacts list, not even one was in sight. Of course, right they would just leave all the info in a car phone. I headed to, well, no particular location when a Range Rover rammed me off the road!! Hell Yeah!                             Now I know how the secret agents feel. I got back on, accelerating till the engine  screeched. Huh? Oh, I was in 1st gear. I rammed the car back. Or at least tried to. I ended up knocking a harmless station-wagon onto the curb.The engine was smoking-hot now. The exterior of this vehicle was totaled. With increasing adrenaline, I sped through the streets like an entire village chasing a wolf. I made a blind turn, knocking myself off the road and overturned the car. Talk about smooth. Just when I thought my life was about to get awesome. I crept out the back of my car, clutching the bags and made a run for it. 
                  The guys in R.R. were in hot pursuit; unaware I had gotten out of the car. I glanced around quickly and saw a busy junction nearby. Running off-road, I headed to the crowded street and luckily for me, I couldn't be seen. This was perfect! The car was about to burst into flames.
                The men that had run me over were more interested in the bag than me. The car exploded. I didn't stick around to find out what happened next. I took the entire stuff home and after hours of searching, I heard a knock on my door. They'd apparently found my location using a tracking device in the memory stick. I managed to finish what I had to say, and they retrieved what was theirs. We signed a contract of confidentiality .

 I guess that’s enough of Chinese food for one whole month.

Comments

  1. Cool story.Has lots of potential

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's nothing in the world that doesn't have potential according to you no?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts